How long a Social Security disability case takes depends on a lot of factors including where you file and the current number of cases being worked on at Social Security. However, here are some rules of thumb:
- Application to initial decision: 4 to 6 months.
- Request for Reconsideration to Recon decision: 2 to 3 months
- Request for Hearing to hearing with Administrative Law Judge: 6 to 18 months (averaging about 10 – 14 months in Colorado).
- Hearing to hearing decision: averaging 45 to 90 days. However, sometimes as long as 6 months.
- Appeals Council review request to Appeals Council decision: 6 to 24 months (often 12 to 18 months).
Disclaimer: This is NOT legal advice. This site provides general information about Social Security disability cases in Colorado. To discuss your particular circumstances, please contact a lawyer in your area. Please review the full disclaimer .