Is a 504 plan or IEP enough to win Social Security children’s benefits

My Colorado law office handled a number of Social Security disability benefits for children. Often parents have a 504 plan or an IEP (Individualized Education Program) from the school. Parents often ask me if this is enough to have their child approved for children’s disability benefits.

Unfortunately, typically not. While a 504 plan or an IEP is good evidence and often contains useful information about the child’s disability, it is often not enough by itself.

There is no single formula for winning a disability case. There is a wide range of possible evidence that may be useful:

  • Doctors records.
  • Hospital records.
  • Mental health provider records.
  • Police reports.
  • School disciplinary reports.
  • Attendance records.
  • School psychologist records.
  • Any evaluations with
  • Physical therapy / occupational therapy records.
  • Teacher questionnaires.
  • Special Education teacher reports.
  • IQ test results.
  • WJ-III test results.

This is just scratching the surface. If you can think of other evidence, do not avoid it just because it is not listed here. Tell me in the comments about the kind of evidence you found useful.

Disclaimer: This is NOT legal advice. This site provides general information about Social Security disability cases in Colorado. To discuss your particular circumstances, please contact a lawyer in your area. Please review the full disclaimer .

About Tomasz Stasiuk

Tomasz Stasiuk is a Colorado Springs Social Security disability lawyer and the founding attorney of the Stasiuk Firm - a law firm specializing in Social Security disability cases in Colorado. Follow Tomasz Stasiuk on Google and Twitter

  • Javandabeckwith

    my 5 year old has a 504 plan and a bip plan i applied for ssi im waiting for an answer will she get approved

  • TomaszStasiuk

    I wish Social Security cases were easy enough that I could tell who would win based on whether they have a 504 plan. 

    If you are looking to have your daughter’s case evaluated, and you are interested in getting help, you may want to contact a lawyer in your area.

  • Ngl_mddx

    I am disabled with 2 children, one will be 18 soon. what will happen with his benefit after 18, will it go to the next child?

  • TomaszStasiuk

    Take a look at

    For specific information about you children’s benefits, I encourage you to contact Social Security