Will my SSI benefits continue if I move to a different state?

I was recently asked if you will still receive your Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits if you move to a different state.  I understand the fear of moving to a different state when you rely on SSI benefits to make it month to month.

Fortunately, the general answer is yes.

Social Security is a national program.  Whether you are receiving Disability Insurance Benefits (DIB) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits, your benefits continue even if you move to a different state.

However, the following states provide additional benefits and supplement SSI benefits:

UPDATE 03/19/12: You can check for changes to this list by going to Social Security’s publication page and using the search tool with the term “SSI in”. This will pull up the list above which will let you check for any additions or subtractions from the states listed above.


Disclaimer: This is NOT legal advice. This site provides general information about Social Security disability cases in Colorado. To discuss your particular circumstances, please contact a lawyer in your area. Please review the full disclaimer .

About Tomasz Stasiuk

Tomasz Stasiuk is a Colorado Springs Social Security disability lawyer and the founding attorney of the Stasiuk Firm - a law firm specializing in Social Security disability cases in Colorado. Follow Tomasz Stasiuk on Google and Twitter


  • Remember I like you a person

    Thanks for the info I was somewhat confused and I suffer from paranoia

  • Remember I like you a person

    Thanks for the info I was somewhat confused and I suffer from paranoia

  • nick

    hi i live in IL if i move to mo to thier would get more $ on my ssi

  • http://www.Planet10Tech.com TomaszStasiuk

    As noted in the post, some states provide additional benefits in addition to the national SSI benefit rate. However, I cannot comment on individual states.

    SSA has the following information concerning SSI benefits in Illinois: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/policy/docs/progdesc/ssi_st_asst/2009/il.html

    All my best!

  • Ulandum_prudic

    Does Colorado have a Respite program and Attendant care for disabled children

  • http://www.Planet10Tech.com TomaszStasiuk

    Here is the only information I have on respite care: http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/ps/hcp/home/respite.html?col7=open

    And, attendent care in Colorado: http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/HCPF/HCPF/1210324172195

    The first link provides contact telephone numbers for more information.

  • Alleyamy269

    What about visiting another state for a long period of time? My mother is gonna come visit me in Texas and she is getting SSI in California.  She would like to come longer than 3 months but can’t because than she would need to visit the doctors.

  • http://www.Planet10Tech.com TomaszStasiuk

    The red flag for me is visit vs change of residency. Try Social Security Advice Online. They are a national company made up of former Social Security managers. Note: this is a private company not affiliated with the Social Security Administration. You can reach them at http://socialsecurityadviceonline.com.

  • Cynthwinx

    Thank you i needed this information since my dad wants to move from New york city to Philadelphia

  • http://www.Planet10Tech.com TomaszStasiuk

    I am glad it is useful!



  • Teresabarker49


  • Mctia

    i am moving to florida i need to know the monthly payment for ssi

  • Mctia

    my sister is moving to florida i need to know the monthly payment to start looking for housing for her

  • http://www.stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

    According to Social Security, Florida does not appear to provide additional benefits to SSI recipients. 

    What your sister may receive depends on the state she currently resides in (you can check the list above to see if she is currently in a state which provides additional benefits) and what she currently gets. 

    The best place to check for a definitive answer, though, is Social Security.

  • Jessica

    I have a friend who is considering moving to another state. She has been approved for her disability and is getting her checks, but her back pay and disability retirement are still in question. Can she move out of state prior to seeing these things through in her current state without having to start over? Also, If she can move having little effect on these things do you know if its possible to stay with her current attorney until the case has gone the rest of the way through? 

  • http://www.stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

    Since you mention “disability retirement” I am not sure if you are actually asking about Social Security disability. 

    In a Social Security disability case, an individual can move and the case will follow them to the new state. The main issue is simply making sure SSA is informed about how to reach the individual. Note: filing a change of address with the post office is NOT keeping SSA informed. I have personally seen mail delayed WEEKS as it being forwarded. Problems creep in if SSA cannot get in touch and needs information to process the benefits. That can cause problems and stop SSA’s processing of benefits. 

    Some people know their new address and will keep the same email and phone number. Others may not have an address or phone and may be unreachable for over a month due to a move. Then there are the unexpected surprises, as well as added stress of moving. Largely it is a matter of personal comfort level and how certain a person is that communication can be maintained.

    Concerning working with an attorney: in a standard fee agreement, SSA pays the attorney directly, so whether a client is in state or not, is generally a non-issue.

    However, this is just general information. Have your friend speak to both her attorney and to her SSA case worker about the anticipated move to gauge what will be needed and how the move might impact the processing of her case. Then she can make an informed choice. 

  • denise

    on state short term disability moving to arizonia will I loss state disability

  • http://www.stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

    Possibly. State disability programs can be linked to residency requirements. If a person moves out of a state, s/he can loose eligibility. Check with the office which administers your program for specific information.

  • Ahmet Tariq

    My mother is getting Medicare Part A and B also Nationwide drug coverage. Also, she is getting SSI. She lives in Michigan. Now she is planning to stay with my brother in Texas. She is not sure for howlong (depends on here situation). Do I need to notify Medicare and SSI people that she is going for more than 30 from Michigan.? Will her coverage and SSI get cancelled?

  • http://www.stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

    I can’t tell you. SSA (including SSI) is a national program. Depending on how long a person will be out-of-state – and whether they are changing their residency to out-of-state – benefits may conceivably change. Typically though, SSI benefits travel with an individual even if they move out-of-state. The important thing is to check with the Social Security office (and state offices which administer state disability benefits the individual may be receiving). Good luck!

  • Coherewecome

    My boyfriend receives SSI benefits in California we will be moving to Colorado this coming year. What does he need to do to transfer his case? Also, when we move our housing situation will be changing. We willbe going from living with his mother paying a small rent to living on our own paying rent, utilities, food, etc in full. Will SSI reevaluate his case and change his payments to support that? Also, are there any housing assistance programs for young families of someone who is disabled?

  • Tweety70

    I plan on working out of state (I am in Ohio) from April 16 through August 28 in Wyoming. I am then returning to Ohio. I do not plan on changing my state residency and this is only a temporary job. Will that affect my SSI benefits?

  • http://www.stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

    You can check the link the post for information about how SSA may treat the SSI benefits in your home state. However, the bigger concern is that you mention moving to new state to work for 5 months.

    I can’t tell you who SSA will address your particular situation. However, if a person is able to engage in a substantial gainful activity, SSA benefits should stop.

  • Lolo Monterey

    I want to move from California to Guam, will my SSI benefits continue

  • Lolo Monterey

    please let me know if i move from california to guam will my ssi benefits continue

  • http://www.stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

    Social Security benefits usually continue for US citizens outside the US (with some exceptions): http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/279/~/receiving-benefits-if-outside-the-united-states

    ​For specific information about what will happen to your benefits, contact Social Security directly.

  • irv

    I moved from ca to nv and my daughter recives ssi benifits the payment portion was transfered no prob butvyhey are saying that her medical has to go thru the welfar program and I was woundering if thsts the case because it doesn’t make since to me.

  • cece

    will my benefits go up if I’m living in Idaho then move to Tennessee?

  • rainbow85

    If I m9ve from new york to Youngstown ohio would my benefits decrease?

  • JoeM

    I live in Massachusetts an plan to move to Virginia sometime this year. I was told my benefits will increase or decrease depending on the cost of living in the other state. How can I find out the changes before I make the move? I was also told if I were to leave the country my benefits may change or stay the same as well for example Canada. I’ve been searching online for almost 6 hours. hope you can help. thank you

  • drea

    Hi I know this may be different but I can’t find any information on this. I’m a Canadian citizen who lost her parents at the age of 11 and became an orphan. I’m 19 now. Though because of this I receive benefits and full tuition paid in full after I finish 4 years of my chosen college. I want to go to college in the U.S. and I’m fine with getting a student visa or whatever I need. I’m also engaged to an American who I haven’t seen because of this. Do you know of any source of information that maybe says that the same benefits I get including the tuition in full paid after 4 years of college can be transferred to the United States? Any source of information would be amazing and I’d be so grateful. Thank you

  • http://www.stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

    The base SSI amount usually does not change. However some states provide added benefits. SSA keeps changing where this information is provided. The most recent link is http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssi/text-benefits-ussi.htm

  • http://www.stasiukfirm.com/ TomaszStasiuk

    This site deals only with US Social Security disability. Note: typically, auxiliary benefits (benefits paid to a surviving child) stop at age 18-19 upon graduation of high school in the US under the Social Security system. If you’re getting your college paid, you are ahead of the game compared to southern neighbor.

  • Drea

    Thank you. Hopefully you can help my fiance with his question down below as well lol. We’ve read all your responses an we are truly grateful for someone like you. Thank you so much.

  • Joem

    Thank you so much!

  • MrSexyBlueEyes

    I am visiting to and I am not sure if I have to change my payee or not am so nervous :(

  • MrSexyBlueEyes


  • MrSexyBlueEyes


  • barbara

    Do I need to go to ss office or can i go online to change states

  • Darlene

    My niece is 18, is adopted, lives in MD and is applying to college in PA . Her mom gets social services benefits for her. Can my niece get the benefits in her name since she’s 18 and moving to another state for college?

  • randy

    moving from Massachusetts to Florida… how will my benefits change and i have a daughter wo i also get benefits for..

  • Jill Fluchel Luebbert

    I am thinking about moving from Alabama to IL. if I receive SSI will I lose it?